Saturday, October 31, 2009

happy saturday

Yay, it's Saturday. I just got back from getting a haircut. It was a little strange. The regular girl wasn't there. It's always a little uncomfortable getting my haircut because I can't speak any Korean and the girls who cut my hair can never speak any English so it's a bit awkward. But at least before I'd been having the same girl cut it every time. It's always worse when it's a new girl. With the old girl it's still uncomfortable, but at least it feels like we've come to some unspoken agreement about how my hair will be when it's finished.

She did a good job though. When the haircut was done I gave the regular "Choayo" and the girl giggled in surprise that I was at least able to say "Good" in Korean. Then came the shampoo. They have this young kid who is doing the shampoo now and he put some weird shit in my hair. It burned like a mother fucker. My head has been on fire for the last hour, and now as I sit here writing this it's finally starting to cool down a little bit. I don't know what the hell that shit he put in my hair was.

Tonight we're going out for either Daegi Galbi or Sam-Gyeop-Sal. Both dishes are just BBQ'd pork, and their both amazing. I love the way they eat here. We just cook it right at our table. Wrap it up in some minty leaves with some sauce and veggies, and eat it. The stuff is delicious.

After food we're going to go to the beach. It's probably going to be one of the last chances we get to go to the beach before it gets cold, so I thought it would be nice to head down there for a couple of hours tonight and walk along the boardwalk and maybe have a drink or two.

This morning I watched the Toronto game, loss in overtime, awesome. The leafs have now gathered 5 points this season out of a possible 22. Beautiful. The truly sad thing though is that the Bruins only have 11 points, so they're not doing that much better. Anyways, there is one benefit to watching Toronto broadcasts, other than the pure satisfaction of watching the team go down in flames. You can learn random facts.

Today, I learned the origin of the term "hat trick". Apparently, in the early days of hockey there was this haberdashery that would give out fedora's to any Leaf's player who would score three goals in one game. Thus, the term "hat trick" developed because there was some store that would actually give you a hat if you scored three goals for the locals. Interesting. I don't think the haberdasher is going to have to worry about going out of business this year giving free hats to Leafs players.

Wow, I almost forgot. It's Halloween. Yesterday, all my kids were angry at me because we didn't have a big Halloween party at my school. According to them every other school has a Halloween party. Instead of a Halloween party the kids at my school got tests. Got to love that. I just told them that we were having a party. It's "Vocabulary Test Party" day. They were not amused. I did at least give them candy though. It does kind of piss me off that every other Academy on the peninsula has parties and Christmas day off, and holidays in general off, but we're all stuck working, sans party. One of these days I'm going to get a job at a public school or a uni and actually be able to enjoy holidays and vacations, one of these days.

Anyways, that's all I have for today. If anything interesting happens tonight I'll let you know. For now, goodnight and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment