Wednesday, December 2, 2009

another plug




Just stopping in for a moment. There is this blog that I read. I read a post on it this weekend, I revisited it again today and between then and now he sneaked in a plug for my blog. This is his blog Here and There and it's a good read. I hope he will continue to write. He is another expat living in Korea and has some interesting insights. I won't mention where he's from, because he's chosen more anonymity, but I will say that I feel a certain kindred because of where the large majority of my ancestors come from. We certainly both have the cynical nature that is common among our people. You should read his blog.

Speaking of cynics. It reminds me of a story that my philosophy teacher told me a while back about the genealogy of the word cynic. It's probably bullshit, but I'll relate it to you regardless. According to my professor when Aristotle first opened his university there was a certain group of philosophers who would rabble rouse outside the gates. If they heard something they thought was pure rhetoric they would throw chickens over the walls. Because of this they became known as chicken throwers.

Now, according to wikipedia the word cynic actually is derived from 'dog-like', so all I can hope of my cynical brethren was that they weren't actually throwing dogs over the walls. Unless they were ankle-biters...I hate those fucking rats.

Anyways. Yeah, read his blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment