Tuesday, December 1, 2009

i need a 30 hour day



I wasn't going to post this because it's just a rant. But it's my blog, I'll rant if I want to. If you don't like it you can just read some other blog.

24 hours just isn't enough. I have too much to do. Too many things I want to accomplish. It isn't helping that one of the people I'm taking the Korean class with is now obsessed with learning. I wish I would have never asked him to take the fucking class. There was only four of us at the beginning. We've lost one already because of his bullshit. We're in danger of losing another, and I'm barely hanging on as it is.

I don't have time to study Korean for two hours a day. I'm also trying to study Korean history, study writing, keep up with my blog, prep for upper level classes, and keep my girlfriend happy (which is a full time job itself). I wanted to read one chapter of "The Elements of Style" everyday. When I finish the book, I want to go back and read it again, and again, and again, and again. I want to memorize that book.

I'd also like to continue studying Korean history. I've found some interesting books on Korean traditions and I'd like to be able to really put some quality study time in. Not just a once through novel read. I want to study them. Take notes, do some research, even go to some of the places mentioned in the books.

It's also important to me that I continue to keep up with my blog. I haven't written consistently in a long time. So far I'm doing great. They might not all be great posts, but at least I'm working at it and putting in the effort that lacked earlier in my life.

On top of that I also want to continue the Korean classes. I just don't want to be crazy about it. It'd be nice to be conversational in a year, but who the fuck am I kidding? I took Russian for a year at uni and I wasn't really conversational. Unless you count being able to say "Hello, my name is Michael, I love Rock 'n' Roll," conversational. I could say some phrases, and understand a bit, but it's pretty fucking tough to be conversational in a language in one year. Besides, I'm most likely a lifer in Korea, why should I hurry? Do I really want to understand everything Koreans say about me? Do I really want to have political conversations with my girlfriends father? But, one guy in the class is fucking it up for the rest of us. He wants to pick up hot Korean girls. Fuck him, I already have my hot Korean girl.

As if that isn't enough, I asked for all low-level classes this term so I wouldn't have to do any prep work. What do they give me? They give me all fucking high-level shit, so that adds about another 10-15 hours a week of work just prepping the fucking things. Yes, I get paid 15% more for those classes, but I just wanted to have a relaxing term in which I could focus on myself for once. Apparently, that's not an option.

The only time I really get for relaxation is in the morning. In the morning, I like to watch hockey. I prefer the Bruins, but it really doesn't matter, I'll watch anything. I'll watch Toronto and hope they lose. I'll watch Washington to root for Ovechkin for my fantasy team, even though he's a punk who does pussy shit like today's knee shot on Tim Gleason. I don't care. I'll even watch the west coast games just to see if Joe Thornton is still playing half as hard as he could be, or if Vancouver can continue to be pseudo-contenders.

Now, even my hockey watching is tainted. I can't just relax and watch hockey. I have to prep. I have to study Korean. I have to do one of fifteen different things on any given morning. Fuck.

Anyways. This was a bit of a rant. I feel better. I need a macjew and some hot chicken. Hope everyone is having a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment