Friday, December 4, 2009

Gatsby

Don't forget to sign up for a page of the English-Korean-English translation of The Great Gatsby over here Deo Geureat Kechupi Project

I've been assigned page 8.

Here it is:

Across courtesy bay the white palaces of fashionable East Egg glittered along the water, and the history of summer really begins on the evening I drove over there to have dinner with the Tom Buchanans.

See bay well-mannered? There Caucasian big house to trendily East (not Japan) Egg sparkling with water. The summer history start on evening drive there to many eat evening with the Tom Pukecannon.

Daisy was my second cousin once removed and I’d known Tom in college. And just after the war I spent two days with them in Chicago. Her husband, among various physical accomplishments, had been one of the most powerful ends that ever played football at New Haven-a national figure in a way, one of those men who reach such an acute limited excellence at twenty-one that everything afterward savors of anti-climax.

Daijy my cousin was removed one time, I knew Tom removed Daijy, it was college. Two days he removed her and war them in town Chicago. Daijies husband, with many bodily finishing’s, had one powerful end. Modern Haven football he play. He nation’s person. One reaching a cute limit. He excellent twenty-one years old and after he saves and will not climax.

His family were enormously wealthy-even in college his freedom with money was a matter for reproach-but now he’d left Chicago and come east in a fashion that rather took your breath away: for instance he’d brought down a string of polo ponies from Lake Forest. It was hard to realize that a man in my own generation was wealthy enough to do that.

His family was many money. He money free college and many approach. Now he leave town Chicago, come east like fashion, and breathing. He buy tiny rope horse from water trees. It was hard to see man age money like that.

Why they came east I don’t know. They had spent a year in France, for no particular reason, and then drifted here and there unrestfully wherever people played polo and were rich together. This was a permanent move, said Daisy over the telephone, but I didn’t believe it-I had no sight into Daisy’s heart but I felt that Tom would drift on forever seeking a little wistfully for the dramatic turbulence of some irrecoverable football game.

Why they come east? They no like west? They spend French year for reason none specific. They drift, rest no, and play rich polo with people other many money. The move solid. Daijy told me. She call me on phone. I don’t believe. In Daijy heart I can’t see Tom float. He like dramas on airplane shaking and football game that he not find.

-----------

It'll be published here after page 7 goes up. Don't forget to sign up for a page of your own and join in the fun.

I'll probably try to do one or two more pages myself, if I have enough time.



3 comments:

  1. Haha, 'not Japan'. I was wondering what I could have done to make 'East Egg' funny and I missed it. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, now if I can just get you to post a link to me on your blog I'll be all set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just finishi page the seven, so yours page is comming soon! Stay watch closely!

    ReplyDelete