Thursday, November 5, 2009

bad english=bad teacher?

Fortunately, despite my horrendous English, I'm actually a pretty good teacher. The problem with this country is that they aren't really interested in good teachers, at least not for Hagwons. I don't know about public schools, but in Hagwons all they really want are entertainers. I'm not really an entertainer. No jumping, singing, clowning, or acting like a babo (fool). Of course, I do joke around with the students and have a good time, but learning is always the top priority in my classes and if I feel like they're fooling around too much and not learning the classes become much less fun.

This week the kids are all doing level-up tests. They hate them, and honestly, they're not very much fun for me either. I have to basically sit at my desk for three hours looking like I'm proctoring them. Every ten or fifteen minutes I have to take a walk around the class to make sure they're doing what they're supposed to, but I won't be doing any real teaching this week. Instead I've been at my desk working on my past tense verbs.

I'm working on a list of about twenty. It feels like it'll take me a year just to memorize those twenty. Korean language is a bitch. French and Russian were so much easier. At least the French alphabet is pretty much the same as English, and Cyrillic is close it just has a few extra letters tossed in. Reading Korean is like reading some alien language that was scrawled on rocks found in a cave. The structure of the alphabet is truly genius, it's like reading computer code, but it's a pain in the ass and completely different than anything I've ever read.

Other than that there's not really a lot to talk about. We had been planning on going up to Seoul in two weeks, but we've postponed the trip until the spring, because we're both cheap and just don't feel like spending the money. Instead we're just going to go to Seomyeon here in town. I really would like to get some Christmas presents this year for family back home, but I just don't really know if I can find anything decent here in Busan. Most of the stores have shit, and the ones that don't have shit, just have typical Western stuff. So I don't know, I'm not really sure what to get for anyone. I hate Christmas. I really do enjoy spending money on my nephews and niece, but I just don't know what the hell to get anyone. I have no idea what they like.

Well, I think that's it for now. It's been a pretty uneventful week. School is boring because of the tests and my girlfriend and I haven't had a fight for almost two weeks now, so everything is really great. I'll probably have a little to say tomorrow about the Bruins game...I'll be watching tomorrow morning of course. Let's hope they score a fucking goal for a change.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Fuck the Yankees.

Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment