Friday, November 13, 2009

smells like kimchi spirit

I have no school spirit. Today, I came to that realization as my buddy and I watched every other teacher from school making some silly video. I just couldn't be bothered. It's not that I don't like my coworkers. They're all good people. I just don't feel like coming into work an hour or two early to work on some retarded video with them. I have better things to do with my time.

My hagwon (English academy) is having a video contest. I work at one of the largest chain academies in Korea. The branch that comes up with the best "School Spirit" video will get about $500 bucks. Of course, the teachers don't actually get that money, the school does. If we actually had a bonus to our paychecks I'd be more inclined to participate.

The video that they're making apparently has something to do with scaring the shit out of the students. Seriously, my students were freaked the fuck out when they got to class. I had to talk them down and tell them, "No, don't worry, the crazy foreign teachers don't want to kill you."

What they were doing is waiting by the elevator. When a load of students would come up on the elevator the teachers would all scream and yell "Wooohhoooo, Yeah, ____ is the best!!!" at the kids when the elevator doors opened. I guess they think that showing a bunch of horrified kids in the video is going to win us the $500 bucks. All to the tune of:



Who the fuck came up with this shit?

I probably should have helped, I think they probably could have used my assistance. For my musical taste if for no other reason. The only real ideas I had were to use the Koolaid guy...



I have no clue how I would have used the Koolaid guy, but I don't give a shit, I always liked him...

The other thing I was thinking about was our schools love of the 'transition'. Transitions are just conjunctions and logical connectors between ideas. Anyways, I always have thought about using the Dead Milkmen's song "Nutrition" and writing my own lyrics to it using the word "Transitions" instead. Of course, I would edit it to make it appropriate for kids, but I always thought that was a pretty cool idea.




On the bright side, they did manage to almost give a Quiznoes sandwich delivery guy a heart attack when he got off the elevator. I don't think he'll be delivering any sandwiches to our school again any time soon.

They should use that in the video.

Anyway, that's all I gots for now. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment