Saturday, November 21, 2009

my first movie review

Orphan



Let me just preface this by pointing out some of the most joyous times of my life. My girlfriend agreed to marry me: awesome, even though we were in a fight at the time it was still one of the happiest days of my life. My last class when I graduated from the university: it was a long road, but I was proud to have finally made it through my philo degree. Getting my license: finally I felt like an adult for the first time, and I could do what I wanted without needing my parents to cart me around. The first time I had sex: I was a bit of a late bloomer, having to wait 18 years when everyone around me was doing it was tough, but I finally got the virgin monkey off my back.

I now have a new one I can add to the list. Watching that fucking crazy bitch drown at the end of this movie almost brought tears to my eyes I was so happy.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I will say that this was actually a pretty impressive movie. At the beginning I wasn't sure what to expect, and thought that it might be another run of the mill thriller or "Children of the Corn" type movie with a crazy kid who goes on a killing spree, but this was far more interesting than that.

When the movie opens and you meet a small family. They seem quite nice, but you realize that they're all getting over the tragedy of a still-born child. In an attempt to get their life back to normal, they decide it would be a good idea to adopt a kid. They go to an orphanage run by some nuns to meet and talk to some kids. That's when they first meet the "Orphan".

Upon first meeting the kid you think she's a little strange, but is nevertheless a good kid. She's quiet, intelligent, thoughtful, and a remarkable artist for a child of about 12. Her abnormalities are seen as nothing more than quirks at the beginning.

Then, she has her first day at the new school. A little girl in one of her classes makes fun of the way she dresses and that's when all hell begins to break loose. Slowly, you begin to see that this innocent little girl is one scary little bitch. Aside from her throwing a tantrum in the middle of school, the first big clue comes at a playground.

She sees the girl who made fun of the way she dresses. Then she to sneaks up behind her and pushes her off the top of a slide, breaking her leg in the fall.

After that everything goes downhill. She kills someone in front of her sister, so the sister is so scared of her that she won't tell the parents. Then, she threatens to cut her brothers balls off with a utility knife like the mini-terrorist she is.

If that's not bad enough, she then proceeds to turn every one of the retarded adults against the mother. The mother is the only one smart enough to see the girl as the psycho-bitch she is, but the rest of the adults in the movie think that the mother's past alcohol abuse has resurfaced and is clouding her judgment.

Finally, you begin to realize that this sweet little girl may not be a sad little orphan after all. I won't give away the ending completely, but I will say that the last couple scenes were pretty fucking disturbing in a few different ways.

Overall, I would recommend this movie. When I downloaded it I really didn't think it was going to be very good, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was really much better than I expected.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you know what's really cool about your movie review? Nothing.... Do you know why? You ruined the ending at the beginning of this stupid assed post. Your blog? mmmmmm... not so much. Good title though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, big words from anon.

    I'm sorry that my blog isn't up to your high standards. According to my ip tracker you come from Wasilla, Alaska.

    Well..I was going to say something else, but I think the fact that you are from Wasilla speaks for itself.

    Oh wait, the dude in "Sixth Sense" is really dead. "Rosebud" is Kane's childhood sled. And "Planet of the Apes" is really Earth.

    ReplyDelete