Sunday, November 8, 2009

DON'T PANIC!!!!!


I found this in the subway and thought it was a little funny that the two people on the side of the escalator are yelling at the people coming down. My girlfriend said the poster is about earthquake safety. Apparently earthquake safety involves being screamed at by people on how not to panic.

Today is church day. Those who know me know that I'm not generally a big church guy, but my girlfriend insists that I go, so it's okay with me. I spend the time reading the bible, it's an interesting read so far, but the print is so small it's really hurting my eyes.

We went to the English language mass once and that was enough for me. I'd rather be blissfully ignorant of what's being said than have to actually listen to that drivel for an hour every Sunday. At least now I can pretend that what's being said isn't at all crazy or ignorant.


The one time we did go to the English mass is was kind of funny. The deacon (I think that's what the priests are called in a Presbyterian church) was relating a story of his youth to us. He told us about this friend he had when he was about 12 years old. His 'friend' was a very attractive 22 year old Korean man. A really good church going kid. Apparently, all the adjumma's were fervently trying to set their daughters up with this guy, and he had women knocking on his door 24/7 trying to get to him. The deacon, told us how he thought it was really special that this eligible 22 year old guy would much rather spend his time with a 12 year old boy than with all those women...needless to say, I'd had about enough after that. I'm not really interested in hearing his stories about how he and 'Joon' had a 'special' relationship and how he was 'touched' in so many ways by the friendship. I'd heard plenty of stories like that through my Catholic upbringing already.

So, that was it for English mass. I'd rather just not understand what they're saying. At least that way I can enjoy the hour of reading time.

Tomorrow is back to Korean class in the morning. Our teacher told us last week that she is going to overload us with homework this week. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the homework. I've been studying this week a little bit, but she didn't really give us any guidance as to what we should be studying, so I've just been kind of winging it a bit. It'll be nice to have some actual guidelines.

Other than that, not much is going on. I watched the Bruins this morning and was pretty happy with the way they played. Wideman is still scary, I counted 3 giveaways by him in the defensive zone in the first period, but after that he tightened up a bit. Having Bitz back made a difference already, but they still need to get Savard and Lucic back, and fucking SI laden Krecji. Fucking swine flu.

One of my students has swine flu. There was a big problem this week because he was posting it on the internet. He's a good kid, but he just doesn't think things through sometimes. It's not the first time there's been a problem with the things he posts on the internet this term. It seems like about once a month he posts some thing on the school message board that gets him in trouble. Usually it's a lot more innocuous than this time, but christ I was worried that he'd start a panic. Everyone here is on edge enough as it is because of SI. I'm seriously tired of having to take every students temperature every single class. Plus, I've already lost two students this week because their parents are afraid of them catching the flu. I don't want to lose any more and get sanctioned because my fucking retention is too low.

Anyways, that's it for now.

Oh, one more thing. If you're reading this then leave a comment. It seems really empty on here so let me know if you're checking this out so I don't feel so much like I'm just writing to myself here.

Bye.

5 comments:

  1. I'm reading this. This is great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read. It's as good as talking to you in person, but maybe better, since you'd probably say less or I'd talk too much if we were actually together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i laughed at loud about the 22 year old and the young boy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I would have left right then, but my girlfriend would have disowned me for walking out in church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find church such a contradiction - interesting and pointless but essential to some and necessary in some cultures crazy huh.. without getting too philosofical it fills a gap in society that shouldn't be there and is so transparent and fluid that it can be manipulated to be something it's not or not something it is huh. wheras faith is simply faith - anyway i found your blog funny dude and soo know what you mean re video games :)

    ReplyDelete